Sam grew up in Keene, New Hampshire where he developed a love for the outdoors at a young age. His early experiences in backpacking, snowboarding and climbing in the White Mountains inspired him to venture into larger mountains. Sam is a graduate from the University of Utah, where he studied Outdoor Recreation and Environmental Sustainability. Since his formal education, Sam pursues guiding year round in the Western US. He has a fascination in risk-management, self efficacy, and providing a memorable outdoor experience.
During the winter, Sam is a splitboard guide and avalanche educator in the Wasatch Range of Utah. In his free time, he is most likely canyoning in the Pacific Northwest, Taiwan, and Utah.
- 20+ summits of Mount Rainier - Disappointment Cleaver, Kautz Glacier, Emmons Glacier
- 5+ summits of Mount Baker - North Ridge, Easton Glacier, Coleman-Deming Glacier
- Multiple summits of Mount Shuksan - Fisher Chimneys, Sulphide Glacier
- Splitboard descents of Mount Rainier - The Kautz Glacier, Fuhrer Thumb
- Taiwan: Numerous descents of technical river-gorge canyons
- Rock and ice climbing throughout Western United States
- Extensive splitboard mountaineering in Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah
- Wilderness First Responder
- American Avalanche Institute Professional Level 1
- Leave No Trace Master Educator
- High Angle Rope Rescue Technician